I suggest you ...

Consolidate "Basic" and "Advanced" settings onto a single page

I just noticed that I really dislike the "Basic" and "Advanced" setting tabs on the Edit Graph page. So much so, that I'm going to explain in detail:

# Why?
- I lose context *all the time* when developing/debugging my graphs. I probably flip between the tabs in average of 4 times when I can't figure out why the graph is displaying the wrong thing. Then I get frustrated and I walk away from dbInsights for a while.
- I think it would be easier to learn what the fields were for (aka understand how to use dbInsights) if you could see the them all together. Usually I know what sql or ruby could would make the graph work (because I understand what data is or isn't displaying), but it takes me a few seconds to figure out which fields to write the code in.
- It would make form validations easier. If all validation errors / warnings appeared on one page, you could give better hints about what the error might be because you could give visual hints that pertained both "Basic"- and "Advanced"-tab fields.

I think I understand the design decision for having "Basic" and "Advanced" tabs: you want making graphs to be simple and a whole bunch of optional fields would be overwhelming to the novice user. Plus, it's aways good to have things above the "fold" of the webpage, right?

So I'm suggesting that you make an "Advanced (show more)" button. Like, just put the advanced fields in a hidden div below the basic ones. That way the novice dbInsights user can ignore them and the advanced dbInsights user can choose to see all the fields on the page at once.

Cheers,

Will Cole

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Will shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminIvan Schneider (Developer, DbInsights) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Will,

Thank you very much for this feedback.

The goal of these two tabs was indeed to be able to create a graph without even seeing the advanced fields if you didn't need them.
        It was a necessity because at first there was more fields on the edit graph page but as you may have noticed, I have moved some of them (those related to the display options) to the view page of the graph.
        With the current number of fields in the advanced section, I think your idea of an hidden section that could be displayed at the same time as the basic settings could work.
        I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Feedback and Knowledge Base